The Chicago Athletic Club Building, designed by Henry Ives Cobb, was one of the Chicago’s swankiest such buildings when completed in 1893 on Michigan Avenue in the city’s Loop district. The ten-story, Venetian-Gothic styled building’s exterior, reminiscent of the Doges Palace in Venice, remained largely unaltered for over a century while its ornate interiors experienced extensive alterations. This tour will highlight the building’s recent conversion by Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture into a high-end hotel, which has revealed its long-vanished interior ornamentation while breathing new life into its historic public spaces, including the restoration of the 8th floor ballroom and its light bulb-encrusted stalactite ceiling. Tour will be led by Paul Alessandro of Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture. Tour will meet at the first floor pool.
To attend, RSVP here.